General Admission Information
for Doctoral Students of D-ERDW
The admission procedure consists of two stages, the provisional and final admission. To initiate the admission procedure, the candidate must have obtained the written agreement of a faculty member to supervise the thesis (https://www.ethz.ch/intranet/en/teaching/administration-doctorate/informationen-departemente/zulassungsverfahren.html ).
- The candidate must register at the rectorate. Registration information
- The supervisor reviews the application and the scientific qualifications on the basis of the candidate's dossier. In agreement with the doctoral committee he proposes additional requirements to be met.
- The department submits a recommendation of approval (or rejection) together with the additional requirements to the Rector.
- The additional requirements must be undertaken by the end of the first year of the doctoral studies at the latest.
- Following provisional admission to doctoral studies, the candidate is enrolled at ETH Zurich. The candidate will receive the residence permit only in connection with being enrolled as a doctoral student.
- The doctoral student ensures that he/she possesses sound qualifications for postgraduate studies by means of a Research Plan Defense. Additional information: Proceedings for Research Plan Defence (PDF, 175 KB)
- The final admission is granted when the research plan has been approved and the additional admission requirements have been completed.
- As a rule, doctoral students are employed as research assistants. The drawing up of an employment contract is an additional process, which is organized by the supervisor's institute.